UN Global Ceasefire
The UN Global Ceasefire is an ongoing petition to put a ‘pause’ on current conflicts in the mid of a pandemic and humanitarian crisis (E.g. Middle Eastern conflicts). In order for those, who are vulnerable and at risk to have access to NGO/Humanitarian services. The pandemic now creates more complications in terms of services provided by NGOs that are put on hold, due to Covid-19 which raises more issues, aside from threats that already exists from the conflict itself.
Latest status of the petition:
- Global ceasefire call has been supported by; 200 NGOs/2 Million citizens/Pope Francis/Malala.
- UN Security council fail to agree to back UN Secretary general’s call for a Global Cease Fire.
- It’s overshadowed by USA & China’s negotiation and tension.
- USA’s distrust towards WHO and withdrawal of funding is creating difficulties for international cooperation.
- Progress is still in development.
Sign the petition here: https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/global_ceasefire_loc/
Country example, recent updates for Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC):
- 139 Civil society organisations in DRC are called for Ceasefire across the country.
- Civil Society Organisations have put forward the following recommendations, to achieve a complete ceasefire across the whole country.
- Pressure the governing body of DRC to act upon the ceasefire and implement social and economic strategies to protect the vulnerable.
- Disarm and disband local and foreign armed groups.
A collection of resources and information on the UN Global ceasefire.